Published by the Department of Archaeology in Kathmandu, Nepal, Ancient Nepal (प्राचीन नेपाल) is a journal devoted to pre-history and field archaeology in the Himalayas. Special interests include epigraphy, manuscripts, numismatics, archives, art, anthropology, architecture and museum studies. Contributions should be concise and based on hitherto unpublished data, and sent to the Director General of the Department of Archaeology.
The journal dates from October 1967 and is still soliciting contributions. The following index of the titles and authors of the Nepali articles was prepared by staff at Madan
Puraskar Pustakalya (MPP) in Kathmandu. Please note that the unevenness in
the naming and page numbering of certain articles reflects inconsistencies in
the original journal.
On account of the compression format we have used for the PDF files, we advise that you install the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat which can be downloaded by clicking here. Please send us a short email to say whether this service is of interest and utility to you. Feedback will determine whether we proceed with the digitisation of other journals of Himalayan studies.
- Full Download (2.9 MB)
- Map (468 kb)
- A Few Words on the Theme (113 kb, a-d)
- Excavations at Khingar Mound 1991 (746 kb, 1-17)
author: Dr. Hans G. Hüttel
- Faunal remains from early houses in Khinga (97 kb, 18-22)
author: Prof. Dr. Angela von den Driesch
- Tibetan Sources on Muktinath (337 kb, 23-41)
author: Dr. Franz Karl Ehrhard
- Settlement Processes and the Formation of States in the High Himalayas Characterized by Tibetan Culture and Tradition (579 kb, 42-54)
author: Prof. Dr. Willbald Haffner and Dr. Perdita Pohle
- Geographical Research on the History of the Cultural Landscape of Southern Mustang (538 kb, 57-81)
author: Prof. Dr. Perdita Pohle
- Cartographic Activities in the Mustang District (262 kb, 82-88)
author: Prof. Dr. Robert Kostka
- About the Authors (14 kb)